How to grow Domain Authority? The SEO industry is always changing and that means that the way to rank in search engines changes as well. Recently, we’ve seen a lot of “dominance” questions — I assume because people see rankings and want to know how to get there.The answer, though it’s not as simple as “create tons of content,” is largely about creating content for the right audience and giving those visitors an unrivaled experience so you stay top-of-mind for those potential customers. Experts emphasize “how to grow domain authority” is one of the most important factors in the future.
Grow Domain authority by content
These days, it’s more important to get the right type of content. “It’s all about creating the right content,” said Martin Garner, CEO and founder of Seer Interactive. “That’s where so much confusion is coming from. Google and their algorithm sees a lot of different things, and they all matter.”Experts emphasize “how to grow domain authority” is one of the most important factors in the future. In fact, you can even hire an expert to get your site ranked. Garner recommends the following:
Grow DA by creating the right content
The right content is still the most important factor in creating a successful site.
A strong page one ranking doesn’t make or break a business, it just makes or breaks a company’s ego. To compare search engines, I talked to Cindy Krum, co-founder and CMO of Marketing Nutz. She said that “Google is not evil; it pays attention to domains with high domain authority.” Finally, she stressed that if you don’t have a strong domain authority (DA) you need fast results because Google responds quickly these days. It’s important to be on the front page of Google (or any other search engine) within 3-5 days.
Grow Domain Authority by improving brand image
An improved brand image is probably the most important thing when you’re improving your DA. When it comes to marketing, though, success is about more than getting eyeballs. You have to make sure that you’re providing rich content for your customers and that you are building relationships with those customers and potential customers. “People care about what others think,” Garner said. “There’s a social element to rankings. If you don’t have a community around you, then SEO is not going to be as effective. You need that trust factor.”
If a site fails to have a DA of at least 50 there’s still hope. Garner had success with clients whose sites didn’t even have domain authority scores. The trick is to get one page continually ranking on page one for a particular term — and that can happen in less than 30 days, sometimes in as little as seven to 10 days for those short-term needs.
When it comes to the future, domain authority is important. Garner believes that in the future Google will see sites as a whole and not focus on individual page rankings. In other words, if a site has a low domain authority, it won’t matter if each page is ranking well if the whole site has low domain authority.
Grow DA by Links
Another important factor is that links still matter — they just don’t build as quickly or count as much. “You can’t just rely on links anymore,” Krum said. “You can’t just start a link building campaign and expect great returns. You have to really focus on providing value and you have to add value to the community before you even ask for a link. You can’t ask for a link after you share some information.” She added that “linking still matters, but it’s more about building relationships now.”
Grow domain authority is important because Google rewards it. “The key to Growing domain authority is to create content that’s actually useful,” Krum said. “If people love it they’ll share it with their friends and Google will see it as a positive signal. If you just create a ton of low-quality content, Google will see that, too.”
Domain authority isn’t everything. Garner said that the best way to grow your domain authority is to make sure that you’re creating high-quality content and then use tactics like link building and social media to promote it. This can help drive traffic and improve your chances of getting an improved or higher domain authority score. But, like all things in life, nothing is guaranteed — no matter what tactics you’re using.
You can get a high domain authority score. Krum said that it’s hard to do this on a large scale, but you can do it with a website domain. First, she said to start with something that’s trending or something that people want to share. Then, you need to build the content and share it on social media and other sites. Finally, you need to keep building great content and sharing it on new channels until you have an established following. “Domain authority is not just about the DA score,” Krum said. “You need to provide something that people want to share.”
Building Relationships and communities
SEO has changed. Garner said “SEO has become social media marketing. We’ve changed from trying to get links or rank high on the first page to a pure content strategy where we’re building relationships and communities around our brands.” Everything has changed, so you have to change as well and not only focus on the past.
Clearly, experts agree that growing your website’s DA is one of the most important strategies that you can use.
More SEO Techniques to Grow Domain Authority
There are many techniques besides just Growing your domain authority. Here are some more ideas:
- Google Authorship. This can be especially helpful on pages that contain your brand name.
- Noindexing. If you want to be dispassionate about a certain page, you can use noindex to exclude it from search engines. This will not hurt the page’s ranking and it won’t impact on the site’s DA score.
- Robots.txt file. A Robots Exclusion File (robots.txt) file tells search engines what kinds of robots they should ignore when crawling websites and indexing them. This file is used by webmasters to prevent certain robots from crawling websites, or to instruct search engine crawlers what they can and cannot do on a certain website.
- Meta Tags. The meta tags are used to help search engines interpret the information in HTML pages, or as a way for search engines to interpret keywords and phrases that are used in website URLs and content. A meta tag may contain a keyword, an entity reference (for example, a URL), or both.
- H1, H2, H3 Tags. These are the three most commonly used tags that can help you optimize your page. You can use different versions of these tags to help search engines determine what the most important information on the page is.
- Image Title and Alt Tags. These images are used to sell a product or some type of service, and can be very effective at helping you grow your website ranking. So make sure to create a good title and alt tag for each image with good keywords in them so that search engines will rank them as more important results when someone searches for those terms.
- Inbound Links. Links to your website are often referred to as inbound links. A link like this is simply a mention of your website on another web page that praises your web pages, product or services and can help with your website ranking.
- Outbound Links. An outbound link is a backlink to any other site that mentions some type of link that you have posted on your website. This can be very helpful in helping you rank more highly, but must be done carefully.
- Site-Wide Google Authorship Images (GWL). When someone clicks on this type of image, Google will show a pop-up box that’s often used to show the site name, website and contact information. This helps Google better identify the sites that you link to your site.
- Social Media Optimization (SMO). This is simply a way of utilizing social network sites such as Facebook, Twitter and Google+ to help increase your search engine rankings with optimized content. Make sure to let everyone know when you post new content and promote it on social media sites in order to help grow your rankings.
- Video. You can also use video marketing strategies as part of your overall SEO strategy. A video will help drive traffic and likely grow your website’s DA score. So always use videos when you can to bring in more traffic, sales and customers.
- Domain Authority and Webmaster Tools. A good way to get a quick fix on how many websites are linking back to your site is to check out the domains list on both the search engine’s Webmaster Tools tool, which has a domain authority chart, as well as on Google Webmaster Tool’s domain authority chart option. This will show you how many other sites are linking to your site, allowing you to determine what you need to do in order to rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs).
- Google Panda and Penguin Updates. In 2011, Google launched the Panda algorithm update which helps to filter out low-quality websites in search results. In 2012, Google released the Penguin algorithm which penalizes websites that do not use meta keywords and duplicate content. But don’t fear, this doesn’t mean your website is doomed. You just need to be careful not to have too many unique errors on your site, or you could end up with a penalty from Google.
- Webmaster Tools Button and Link Building Resources. Visit the search engine’s Webmaster Tools page and click on the Domain Authority link. You will see your domain authority, or DA score. This represents how much influence your site has in regards to other sites. A high DA score is an indication that your website is popular and links back to many other sites that can help increase your site’s ranking. So those are some of the ways you can grow your domain authority.
So these are some of the methods you can use to grow Domain Authority.
Grow DA by Pagerank
Warning: Google, Bing and Yahoo all use a algorithm called PageRank, which helps determine which websites rank how high in search results pages (SERPs). So if you think that these search engines are not taking advantage of your website, remember this is all about the importance of site authority and the number of links and backlinks that a site has. If you have fewer inbound links, then your particular website will rank lower unless it has high DA scores. Then even though it has low rankings, it can still be relevant because different types of websites have different types of rankings.
Finally, I just want to say this. The internet is a huge place, and take advantage of it by learning advanced SEO techniques that will help you build your business by utilizing methods such as Private Blog Networks and Article Marketing. These are two very important strategies for growing traffic to your website as well as improving your rankings on the search engines. Now I don’t want to overwhelm you with every single strategy you can possibly use, but it’s important to understand how all of this fits together so that you can make an educated decision on which methods fit your goals and objectives best.
If you want more information on how to increase your website’s DA scores and ranking, I invite you to check out some of my other articles.