Learn how to boost domain authority in 2022.
A better domain name can help you to rank better in search engine results pages because it is more memorable and easier for people to find. Your domain name is one of the few assets you have that are just about guaranteed to go up in value over time, so it should be treated as an investment.
All of this matters even more in 2022 because Google is starting a new algorithm called “Hummingbird” which will reward sites with high quality content and penalize sites with little or no quality content. A simple but often overlooked way to increase the quality of your site’s content is by using a good domain name.
To be more specific, here are a few things that you can do to boost domain authority in 2022…
1) Add more useful content to your site. “Useful content” is anything that you can use to rank well in Google. The main types of useful content include:
- Information about a topic on the web that is difficult to find elsewhere.
- High-quality articles and blog posts about a popular topic.
- Reviews and testimonials about products or services.
- Guides, tutorials, and courses on how to do something. These can include videos, ebooks etc.
All of these types of content use the same basic formula…
- a) Write something that is useful.
- b) Use your keyword as much as possible.
- c) Add it to your site and make sure that it is easy to find through search engines.
2) Get more backlinks from other quality sites. A backlink is a link from another site that points to your own site. Experts believe that most search engines still give more value to links from popular sites than links from unpopular sites, so the more backlinks you have, the better your domain authority in 2022 will be. The best way to get quality backlinks is by creating great content for a small original audience and sharing it via social media.
- Use Google Alerts, Moz Local and Ahrefs to monitor popular topics that you’re interested in.
- Create high quality articles, blog posts and reviews about those topics and post them on your own site.
- Tweet and Facebook Post links to those articles and reviews on a consistent basis.
It’s best to write high quality articles or blog posts that have nothing to do with the topic in order to get the most backlinks people will be searching for when they land on your website..
3) Create more pages on your site that contain unique content. A page that is unique is a page that contains content about a topic that you can’t find anywhere else on the web. The easiest way to do this is by adding new articles and blog posts, but you can also create image galleries and videos as well.
- Start by finding keywords related to your niche and adding them into your domain name and sub-domains if possible.
- Add high quality articles, blog posts and videos about those topics to your site as soon as you can.
- Use the keywords you added to your domain name and sub-domains in those articles and blog posts.
4) Customize your URL. A good URL has 3 main components:
- It usually has the keyword(s) that you want to rank for at the end of it.
- It has a description of what that page is about.
- It has a call to action (CTA) that encourages people to click on it when they land on your site.
Your domain authority will go up even more if you make these three things happen……
- a) You can use a tool like Google’s free http://www.urlprofiler.com ) to find the best possible URL for your website.
- Use that URL as your primary domain name. ( e.g . example.com )
- Add the keyword that you want to rank for in the URL description ( e.g . example-website-2022-best-Keyword ).
- Add a CTA like “click here” or “find out more” after your keyword(s) in the URL description and before your domain name.
- b) If you use sub-domains, then use them to redirect users to relevant pages on your site.
- Put the keywords that you are targeting at the end of your sub-domain ( e.g . example-website-2022-best-Keyword.com )
- Make sure that people land on the most important page of your site when they see that sub-domain ( e.g . if it’s example-website-2022-best-Keyword put that page as your homepage).
- c) If possible, add a keyword you want to rank for in the title tag and meta description of every page on your site.
- This will help you to increase your domain authority in 2022 because it allows you to add that keyword once, instead of adding it to every page.
- It also makes sure that when someone searches for that keyword that they find your page every time. ( e.g . Google’s SEO Starter Guide )
5) Use a redirect page when you want to add a new sub-domain or make a change to an existing one.
- Add a redirect page whenever you want users to land on another page on your site when they type in a certain URL.
The easiest way to do this is by using a WordPress plugin like YoTraffic.
- You can use YoTraffic to redirect your domain name(s) to different pages on your site when you type in any URL, such as “example-website-2022-best-Keyword.com”
- This could be used for creating new pages or changing the page that users land on when they type into a search query.
Even if you use YoTraffic, you should still add a keyword that you want to rank for to the end of every single URL on your site.
6) Add your keyword(s) to your email address and social media profiles. Whenever someone types in your email address, it is displayed in Google’s search results for that keyword.
- This is why it’s so important to register for a high-quality domain name and add that keyword as the TLD (e.g . .com).
- This allows other people to create backlinks from their sites by referring to your site by your domain name.
- It is also a good idea to register for your social media profiles in the following places……
- Facebook ( http://www.facebook.com )
- Twitter ( https://twitter.com )
- Google + ( http://www.google.com/+ )
- LinkedIn ( https://www.linkedin.com/company/best-seo-services )
- Instagram ( http://instagram.com/social_bookmarking_co )
- Pinterest ( http://pinterest.com/ )
- YouTube ( https://www.youtube.com/ )
- Google’s Blog (http://www.googleblog.com)
7) Recruit influencers to link to your site and blog about it in their own blogs and on their social media profiles. When you do this, the best way of doing it is by asking them for a link in the blog post or tweet and giving them some value back in return for that link like, “this post was awesome,” “hey David M, I just bought your latest book,” “Hey Joe A, I’d love to read your latest article” or “hey Ryan B, I’d love to read your latest article. It was great.”
- You can find influencers using tools like BuzzSumo, Mari’s Marketing and Moz.com.
- Write a blog post or tweet asking them to post one of their posts on your site and give them some value back in return for that link.
- If you are posting a link in your blog and asking someone to do the same, you should include a comment section at the end of your article that says something like this “Hey David M, I’d love to read your latest article. Can you please include that one in your next post?” or “Hey Joe A, I’d love to read your latest article. Can you please include that one in your next blog post?”
- If you want to do this on Twitter, use hashtags like #influencers #bcshq #bcswrk.
- You can also tweet them a question at the end of a tweet that says something like this “Hey Ryan B, I’d love to read your latest article. Can you please include that one in your next post?”.
You will find out if they have posted any links to it by checking their website or social media profiles.
- Add a comment for each post that you make on Reddit or Digg that says something like “hey reddit/stumbleupon/digg, can you please upvote this post?”
- This will help your site rank higher in the results for search queries that include the name of these sites or some variation of those words.
- If you want more exposure of your social media profiles, then post your link on those sites and include a comment like “hey reddit/stumbleupon/digg, can you please upvote my social media profile?”
- You can find these sites by using the search query “related: Reddit.com/stumbleupon.com” on Google.
- The easiest way to get your content posted on these sites is by using Reddit’s promotion tools or similar services.
9) Get your content shared on social media profiles that have a large audience or are relevant to the niche that you are targeting. To boost domain authority in 2022, you want to get your content shared on social media profiles that have a large audience.
- You can do this by getting people to share your content on well-known sites in your niche, for example, if you are targeting a tech niche then sharing your content on sites like Digg and Reddit or sites like SlideShare and Scribd that have a tech-based audience.
- Getting your content shared on relevant niche sites is another way to boost domain authority, for example, if you are targeting a tech niche then you could share your content on sites like TechCrunch, Mashable and LifeHacker.
- You can boost domain authority by using an app called BufferApp ( https://bufferapp.com ) to automate the sharing of all the content that you create.
10) Use Google’s keyword research tool and check out some of the top ranking pages in your niche to see how they are using it in their content.
- Your site will rank better for any keywords that appear more frequently throughout your site.
- Use the tool to see how your competitors are ranking for their keywords and then find out what they are doing that you can emulate on your site.
- For example, if you are focusing on fitness and health then Google’s keyword research tool might help you discover that the top fitness related pages in your niche include:
- A large number of these pages have some variation of the keyword “fitness” in the title tag (e.g . “What Is Fitness?”) so you could add a title tag to your articles that would rank better for those keywords (i.e . “How To Achieve Fitness Goals,”) by using those variations of the keyword in your content.
- This will help you to get a higher domain authority score for the future.
- A social media profile that could be relevant to your niche and has a large audience would be: http://www.facebook.com/fitnesspage, so you could add a comment at the end of your content (for example “Hey fitness page, I just published this on my site and wanted to share it with you guys so you can read it first” or “Hey fitness page, I’d love to post this article on your site next. Can you please add a comment to the end giving me permission to post it on your site?”) and then also include a link to their profile in the comment that you add.
- If they accept, then you will have more people reading your content and they might share it with their own network and this will help your social media presence as well.
11) Make sure that your site is responsive, especially in future years, when Googlebot and other search bots will be able to access content directly from mobile devices.
- If your site is responsive, then it will load quicker when a mobile device is used to access it than a non-responsive site.
- This will help you get higher rankings in the future as Google will use these resources to help fruitfully rank the pages on your site.
- You can do this by using templates that are responsive or by customising the code for your articles if you have WordPress installed ( https://wordpress.org/about/customizing )”.
- You need to use CSS code in your site that will allow Google’s search bots and other search algorithms to get access to the parts of your site that are relevant for ranking it.
- The code you need to use is called CSS3, which you can find here: https://css3-mediaqueries.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/hacks.css
- Here is a short guide to using CSS3 to make your site responsive: http://www.creativebloq.com/web-design/responsive-web-design-beginners-guide-1000000939753 (“How To Create A Responsive Web Design”).
- You can find out if your site is responsive by using this tool: https://www.smushit.com/ysmush.it/ (“YSlow – YSlow analyzes the contents of a web page and determines how optimized that page is for performance based on the rules in Yahoo!’s YSlow ruleset.”).
- If you have any questions about this then you can send me a message or post a comment and I will be happy to help.
- I also encourage you to use the “related” search sites (e.g . related: hotwingedmango.com) that I mentioned above to help improve your social media presence, as your site will show up on those sites when you publish new content and this will help you get more traffic to your content and boost your domain authority score.
- To find out which sites are related to yours then use this search query: “related:domain.com” (e.g . “related:hotwingedmango.com”).
- You can also make use of the services that I mentioned above (e.g . https://www.linkbulker.com/) to help find out which sites are related to yours.
- You can also use tools like https://www.imgrum.com/ (https://www.imgrum.com/product-overview/ ) to help you find related sites.
- You can also use tools like http://www.socialmediatoday.com/content-marketing-software/” title=”Social media marketing software” class=”wl_f” rel=”nofollow”>social media marketing software to help you get more exposure on the social sites (e.g . https://www.bufferapp.com/, https://www.hootsuite.com/) that you use and to help boost your domain authority score.
12) You can ask webmasters in your niche (e.g . http://www.quora.com/ ) for feedback on which articles are their favorites and which ones they think are the most interesting and then make sure that you update your site with more articles like those that they recommended.
- This will help you get more exposure for your content, as those webmasters are likely to share those articles with their networks.
- You can use tools like http://www.quora.com/about (“Quora – What is Quora?”) or http://www.reddit.com/r/help/ (“How To Get Discovered On Reddit”) to connect with other people in your niche and then you can use these methods to ask them for feedback on which of your articles are their favorites and which ones they would recommend you write more similar articles about that they would want to share with their social media networks and continue reading on their site (e.g . http://www.reddit.com/r/anxiety/” title=”Anxiety – Reddit: the front page of the internet” class=”wl_f” rel=”nofollow”>anxiety).
- This will help you to get feedback on your articles from people who are interested in your niche and therefore their feedback will be more valuable than advice from people who do not have much of a passion or interest for your niche.
13) Make sure that you have perfect grammar and spelling on every article that you publish and also on your website as a whole, because search bots tend to ignore sites that have bad grammar or spelling errors.· You can run your articles through a grammar and spell checker like this one: https://www.spellcheck.net/ (“Spelling and Grammar Checker”).
14) Make sure that you use relevant images, infographics and videos in your articles that are of high quality and add value to your content.
- This will help you get better rankings in the search engines because Google loves to use these images, infographics and videos to influence their rankings.
- You can find relevant images and infographics here: http://cdn.makeuseof.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/infographics-for-your-website.jpg (“Infographics for Your Website”).
- You can also use video to add value to your articles and if you have any problems with how to do this then you should ask me a question in the comments section at the bottom of this blog post and I will be more than happy to help you out and explain how all of this works.
Finally, I want to say a big thank you to everyone who has read my blog post and I hope that it is helping you and providing value.
- If you have any questions about this then don’t hesitate to ask me a question in the comments section at the bottom of this post and I will be happy to help out.
- Also, if you have any suggestions then please send me a message or post a comment and I will be happy to implement your suggestions and improve this blog post.
- You can also request for specific topics that you would like me to write about in future blog posts in the comments section at the bottom of my site (e.g . https://www.increase-da.com)